illamasqua Skin Base foundation - review

So I've always been on this quest to the perfect foundation. I've tried MAC, Rimmel, Bobby Brown, Smashbox etc. They've all been good, but not brilliant. I've always wanted to have flawless skin like all these girls I see posting make up tutorial on instagram and what not but I've just never been able to manage it.

This time I'm trying Illamasqua Skin base Foundation. I've always been interested in this brand, it just looks like fun and dramatic. I've heard nothing but good things about it and finally took the plunge to spend £32 on the stuff.

Firstly, the bottle seems small but I have a feeling it will last a long time. The writing is small and the whole thing is very minimalistic. No fuss, no muss! It's a squeezey bottle, I'm guessing as the bottle runs out it might be a bit harder to squeeze stuff out but right now it's fine.

The foundation it's self smell nice and a bit thicker than most of the foundations I've used in the past. I applied it on top of moisturised and primer-ed skin. (Niva soft moisturiser and Smashbox Photo ready primmer).

After I applied the foundation I noticed straight away that it was clinging to dry patches of which I had no idea I had! To remedy this I think I should have used more primer and made my skin a smoother pallet. It definitely covered my skin and hid all red patches and dark under eye circles. It matched my skin very well, I'm so pale foundations tend to be too yellow for my skin but this was fine.
(left:before foundation, Right:Just foundation)

I don't have any other illamasqua products so I just continued to use all my other regular make up products to finish my look. So far my make up is sitting fine on top of the foundation, which is good so I don't have to run out and buy a tone of new make up.

(I'm not crying or uncomfortable in that first picture... I have no idea why i look so sad and in pain...)

Overall I'm happy with the foundation. I'm not over the moon with it yet but its colour is basically perfect for me. I'm very happy with how my skin looks with this foundation and I'm considering buying other products to compliment the foundation.

I do have one big complaint. The customer service at illamasqua is horrific. I've emailed the company three times to ask about their products and am yet to receive any feedback. I've had a small amount of interaction from their twitter page but even then it's been slow. There isn't an illamasqua counter in Newcastle anymore so some reliable member of staff would have been much appreciated rather than me taking a lucky dip with colour matching.

Thanks for reading, do you have any foundation tips or queries? Let me know... 


No comments:

Post a Comment